IELTS test centres exist in more than 140 countries, across
Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, North America and the
Middle East. IELTS Australia operates and manages some of
these IELTS test centres and the British Council operates and
manages others, to which you may be referred.
In dealings with the IELTS Owners:
We collect personal details such as name, postal and email addresses, date of birth, gender, contact details, languages, country of nationality, residency status, education qualifications, national identity card number, passport details, employment history occupation, information required for visa application and professional memberships of individuals:
|•||who apply to undertake, or have undertaken, an assessment service provided by, or through, the IELTS Owners;|
|•||who formally advise/register their interest in being engaged as consultants, or individuals who have been, or are currently, engaged as consultants on projects/programs managed by the IELTS Owners (or the IELTS Owners together with other organisations); and|
|•||who register to participate in an event organised, managed or presented by the IELTS Owners, whether in its own right, or under contract for another organisation.|
This will include copies of documents you provide to us as proof of identity – e.g. copies of your passport or national identity card, proof of citizenship or photographs of you when you apply to sit the IELTS test.
We may also hold Sensitive Information about individuals including:
|•||medical information (which you may provide to obtain special consideration);|
|•||biometric information for IELTS test candidates who provide a finger scan as part of the Identity Authentication Management (IAM) for the IELTS test (a copy of - your finger scan is held in the form of a Binary Large Object (BLOB); and|
|•||racial or ethnic origin (from information on your country of origin).|
In the case of individuals who have completed an assessment service provided by, or through, the IELTS Owners, results achieved by the individual will also be held.
We collect your Personal information to allow us to:
|•||share the relevant information from your IELTS application or test with educational institutions, IELTS test centres, governments (including visa processing authorities), or professional bodies and commercial organisations that recognise IELTS scores;|
|•||forward any enquiries you have to the other joint owners of the IELTS test (The British Council, IDP Education and Cambridge English Language Assessment) in accordance with your expressed preference (e.g. when you make a general enquiry about IELTS or about sitting an IELTS test);|
|•||share any relevant information from your IELTS application or test with the other joint owners of the IELTS test (The British Council, IDP Education and Cambridge English Language Assessment) for purposes such as administering the IELTS test, reviewing IELTS test results for statistical and fraud detection purposes, or accommodating changes in your preference as to test centre location;|
|•||share the relevant information from your IELTS application or test with regulatory authorities for verification purposes, to protect the IELTS test and its stakeholders or where legally required;|
|•||inform you of and provide you with information on the services we provide (including events and opportunities to participate in projects/programs);|
|•||use your information in an anonymous form, for informational, research, statistical and training purposes for the development of Cambridge English Language Assessment examinations;|
|•||manage our internal business operations; and|
|•||respond to your questions.|
Detailed privacy policies
The privacy and data protection policies of the IELTS Owners are detailed as follows:
1. APP means the Australian Privacy Principles in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Act.
2. IELTS refers to the International English Language Testing System.
3. IELTS Owners refers to The British Council, IDP Education (through its subsidiary IELTS Australia Pty Ltd) and Cambridge English Language Assessment who together own the IELTS test. The British Council and Cambridge English Language Assessment are United Kingdom based entities. IDP Education is an Australian based entity.
4. IDP Education refers to IDP Education Limited (ACN 117 676 463). IELTS Australia refers to IELTS Australia Pty Ltd (ACN 008 664 766) which is a subsidiary of IDP Education.
5. Personal Information means information or an opinion [CS1] [SG2] about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion [CS3] is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
6. Privacy Act means the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
7. Sensitive Information includes information or an opinion [CS4] about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a professional or trade association or criminal record that is also personal information, or health information about an individual, or biometric information used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or identification, or biometric templates.
Website usage and other information collected on this website
We will not without your prior consent disclose Personal Information collected about you on this website to any other party. Further, we do not sell, rent or trade your Personal Information to any other third parties except as required by law or permitted under the Privacy Act.
We use Google Analytics to measure and analyse its internet usage to ensure the site meets the IELTS Owners’ business objectives with advertisers and users. Individual privacy is protected but we gain insights on how to make the site more useful for advertisers as well as our users.
Data collected from this analysis includes:
|•||the number of page views (or page impressions) that occur on our sites;|
|•||the number of unique visitors;|
|•||how long these unique visitors (on average) spend on our sites;|
|•||common entry and exit points to our sites;|
|•||files downloaded from the site;|
|•||forms filled in on the site.|
If you wish to disable the cookies on this website you will need to follow the steps required for your preferred browser (e.g. in Internet Explorer 10 and 11 this can be found in the Privacy tab under Internet Options).
For more information contact: