A truly global test
- The IELTS test is trusted by over 10,000 organizations, including universities, professional bodies, employers and migration authorities. Learn more about how IELTS results are used to gain entry into study, professional registration and work as well as for migration purposes.
- IELTS is the only English language test that is accepted by all of the key immigration authorities in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, for visa applications and migration purposes.Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Citizenship and Immigration Canada, Immigration New Zealand, and UK Visas and Immigration all trust IELTS as a true and reliable measure of English proficiency.
- IELTS offers you a choice of two test versions to better meet your needs. IELTS Academic measures English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher learning environment while the IELTS General Training measures a test taker’s proficiency in a practical, everyday context.
- IELTS actively avoids cultural bias in order to ensure all test takers are treated with the utmost fairness. The IELTS test consists of questions that are relevant to the way people need to use English in their studies or working lives. The topics covered by the test are both interesting and contemporary, and are based on an analysis of the ways in which language is used in the 'real world'.
- All standard varieties of native-speaker English, including North American, British, Australian and New Zealand English are accepted.
Face-to-face speaking test
IELTS includes a face-to-face speaking test with a qualiﬁed and trained examiner who interacts with and assesses the test taker’s communicative skills in English. This prompts a more realistic performance from test takers than simply responding to recorded cues from a computer. Institutions and employers can, therefore, better be able to identify test takers who can communicate effectively in English.
Find out what’s in the IELTS Speaking paper